Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ring, Ring. Ring my Bell!

Doesn't that just make you want to sing along with Anita Ward? Ring my belllllllllll, ring my bell. Ring, ring. Ring my bell!

Btdubs, she's from Memphis. How is it that such a crap city produces so much wonderful talent and food? It's seriously incomprehensible to me.

When I was a kid (and now, actually) my nan had a bell collection. She had large bells, small bells, high-pitched bells, low-pitched bells, bells that looked like characters, bells that looked like animals. Some of the bells didn't even ring. Why have a bell collection if they don't even effing ring? RIDICULOUS. But she loved having that collection. She also collected Mickey and Minnie Mouse figurines.

I didn't and don't understand this. In fact, I don't understand any types of collections. (In the interest of full disclosure, I did play with them a lot when I was a kid. However, I still don't understand the compulsion to collect things.)

Isn't collecting things kind of like specialized hoarding?

Hoarding is just keeping everything, so aren't they just the ultimate collectors?

Speaking of hoarding, Eli from Degrassi is a hoarder. Well, apparently, he's a hoarder. They only talked about it for one freaking episode. Degrassi is schizo when it comes to episodes.

Anyway, we're going to play a little game called "I Spy." And I'm not explaining the rules, because anyone who attended Kindergarten has heard of and played "I Spy." Oh, ps, I hate when people call it I, Spy. Where the eff did the comma come from?

OK, so actually, this won't be like I Spy at all, because I'm really just going to show a couple of pictures of a hoarding situation or a collecting situation. And we're, together, going to decide which should be considered hoarding or collecting. Yes?

1.


2. 


3.


So which of these would you consider hoarding, and why?

4 comments:

  1. All but the last one should be called hoarding, because there is absolutely no organization to either.
    The last one is organized/stacked/place quite nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with miss BWare, on all counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say only the first should be considered hoarding. The second one may be messy but it looks to be a fairly small collection of spices, and if they are, indeed, spices, they are probably used in cooking. I feel anything that is actually used should be a collection and not hoarding.
    The first one, by contrast, is messy to the point that you probably couldn't find over half of the things in that pile, and would never need at least two-thirds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'll add my comment here, because I don't want to edit the post. I agree with Anonymous. The second one does seem to be some sort of spice and/or food collection. It is also probably used, so I don't think it's considered hoarding.

    ReplyDelete